When you need a home inspection, you want to make sure you get a good one here in the South Alabama area. First, you need to know what a good home inspection is. Then you need to know how to find a home inspector who can, and will, give you the home inspection that serves you well. And last, you want to know how much you should pay for this quality home inspection by a good home inspector.
The Top Six Myths About Home Inspections
This is a really good and important question. Many home buyers (and even agents) don't know exactly what a home inspector does. So let me clear the smoke right now.
There are basically 3 aspects to every home inspection:
1st - A home inspection is a visual, non-intrusive, & fair effort to discover the real material condition of the home during the time and day that the inspection takes place.
2nd - A home inspection isn't really about the home inspector telling you what's wrong with the home more than it is a discovery session for you to make sure you understand what you're buying so that you can decide if it falls within your expectations and is a good fit for your situation.
You see, my job is to make sure I align the reality of the home's condition with your expectations. If I can successfully do that, then I've done my job.
3rd - The home inspection report. The report is designed to summarize and convey the findings in a way that is clear, simple, complete, and easy-to-understand. If a home inspection is a snapshot in time of the condition of a home, then the report is the photo, itself (and a good report will have lots of photos). Without the report there is no real home inspection. It allows you to go back through the inspection as many times as you like in order to decide if the house is a good fit for you and your circumstances.
By nature, it's limited in scope to what can be seen, touched and tested, which particularly applies to vacant homes where a home inspector is forced to play detective and do the best they can during the short period of time they're at the home to find everything (good and bad) that you'll need to know in order to make an educated decision about the home.
If your schedule allows, you should also be encouraged to take advantage of the rare opportunity to follow a professional home inspector around your home who will invite your questions, concerns, and impart key information and advice that will certainly help you while you live in and maintain your home for years to come.
Some key points to remember about home inspections:
1. No house is perfect. Not even a brand new home. There will always be something worth noting in the report.
2. Not all home inspectors are created equal. Just like auto mechanics, some are better than others. Price should not be the most important consideration when comparing home inspection firms. Use word-of-mouth referrals, past client reviews, time in business, background, and expertise. This is especially true since you're making such a large and important investment.
3. A home inspection is an investment in the quality of your new home. View it as one. Personally, I always have a goal that the items I find in a home will at least cover the cost of the inspection when they are negotiated for repair. Of course, that doesn't always happens. Than again, sometimes my fee is tiny in comparison to what I find.
4. Old homes are like old people, the older they get the more attention they need (my sons laugh when I say that). Be sure to see older homes (50+) as they're supposed to be seen and try to avoid bringing the same set of expectations you had when you looked at that 10 year old home earlier in the day. It will not look or perform the same way. The 3 biggest concerns in every old home? The plumbing, electrical system, and foundation.
Top Questions, Facts, and Concerns About Home Inspection
Home inspections are usually associated with new construction and property selling. It is believed that more than 80% of the home sale deals are finalized after the properties have been inspected by professional inspection service companies and approved by them. A detailed inspection reassures the buyer that he/she is making a wise investment, while the liability of the agent also gets limited to a great extent as everything about the condition of the home on sale is out in the open. A pre-inspected and approved home commands a good price and even protects the seller from any legal action that could have arisen on account of non-disclosure.
While the importance of having the home inspected by an experienced professional before purchasing a home cannot be denied, there are many other purposes for which home inspection services can be utilized to great effect. These include
* Repair Assessment: There may be a situation where you get some repairs performed on your home and the quality of services leave you dissatisfied. You can hire a home inspection company to evaluate the job done.
* Pre-sale Inspection: If you are planning to put your home in the property market, you should get it professionally inspected. This way you can learn about the repairs that need to be performed before selling. Later on, the potential buyers won't be able to find any fault with the place and your home will get a good price.
* Maintenance Inspection: Regular and periodic inspection of the home by knowledgeable professionals helps you maintain your property. Faults can be identified and rectified before they develop into major issues requiring costly repairs or replacements. Most inspection agencies even offer additional services such as energy audits, pool or spa inspection, septic testing, indoor air quality testing, water sampling, etc. These are also very important services that help maintain healthy and hygienic living.
* Witness Services: At times, you may be unhappy with a tradesman's flawed services delivered for your home. If the issue does not get resolved and you have to take the tradesman to court, a certified home inspector can be a valuable witness to boost your claim.
Recognizing the importance of thorough inspection of a property, several companies have come up offering expert home inspection services. If you need to hire such a company, you can log on to an online local business directory to search for reputable, certified home inspection company servicing the region where your property is located.
Your home is one of the most significant investments of your life. Professional inspection services for your home not only help to make sure that you invest judiciously, but are also essential for protecting this investment for the years to come.
Importance of Home Inspection
Purchasing a new home is a big investment. Before investing your hard earned money in buying a house that you have dreamt of, it is important that you check every aspect of it. One of the most significant aspects is getting the entire home inspected before you sign any contract in the process of buying a house.
The industry of home inspection is full of competent home inspectors. There are dozens of home inspection companies that offer reliable home examination services to their clients. But along with the availability of professional home inspectors, the home inspection industry is also plagued with fraud companies who call themselves competent home inspectors. So, it is a must to screen and qualify a company before hiring their inspection services.
There are a number of things that you must keep in mind while selecting a good home examiner for inspecting your new house. Some of them have been mentioned below:
Experience- You must consider hiring the services of a professional who performs at least 300 inspections per year. House inspectors having more years of experience are most desirable for the job of home inspection.
Knowledge- The home inspection company you choose must be knowledgeable enough to understand every system in a home. Professionals having a relevant degree in the field of engineering or architecture are considered best for the work of home assessment. Professionals dealing in general construction are also considered ideal for the role of house inspectors.
Reputation- When you are dealing with a professional company, it is important to note the reputation of both the company and the inspector who will be performing the work of inspection for your house. You must always request your hired company to send you a trained and reputed inspector for inspecting your home.
Getting relevant reports- Ensure that your hired house inspection company provides you a report that covers all the aspects of scrutiny. The inspection of your new house must include a signed report that describes what inspection was carried and also it will include the conditions of the inspected items. There are a number of home assessors who provide a checklist of items that they inspect. On the other hand, there are professionals who provide a written description of all the items that are inspected.
The cost of the inspection - Before you hire the services of a professional home examination company, you must also ask them to give you an estimate of the total cost associated with the inspection of the house. Once you get an estimate, you can compare it with other companies before hiring any particular company.
You must consider all the above points because at the end, it is the knowledge and experience of the home examiner that matters a lot in the work of home inspection.